Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lobster Mac and Cheese

I have been craving for a good lobster mac and cheese for a while. When I went for grocery 2 weeks ago , I could not resist the fresh lobsters in the tank. They were too appealing and when the guy behind the counter told me "We can cook it for you if you'd like " ! I was sold :)  - The thought of putting live lobsters in a pot of boiling water makes me a bit squeamish . This was an offer I simply could not resist. Off I went with my 2 cooked lobsters and my White cheddar ,Swiss and Gruyere cheese.

INGREDIENTS :

300 g Elbow Macaroni ( I like to use Barilla brand- just a personal favorite )
2 Lobsters fully cooked and cut into big chunks (keep the shells and other parts to make a great Lobster Bisque)
1/4 cup of butter unsalted
2 Tbs of flour
2 cups of warm milk
4 cups of grated cheese combined ( I used white cheddar, Swiss Emental and Gruyere)
Few sprigs of thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
Panko bread crumbs (optional to your liking )

METHOD :

Cook Macaroni according to instructions until al dente- Keep aside
Heat butter in a pan
Add flour and cook until slightly brown
Slowly add the warm milk (if cold milk is used sauce will be lumpy)
Whisk until it turns into a smooth paste (not too thick - add more milk if required)
Add nutmeg , thyme leaves, pepper
Now add the cheese and mix well until completely melted - Add salt only if required
Add the pasta and lobster and stir well to coat
Pour into individual casserole dishes (or a medium sized one)
Ready to eat as is or if you wish , sprinkle panko breadcrumbs on top and broil on high for 2-3 mins until bubbly




NOTES :

It is sometimes daunting to look for cheese that does not contain Rennet (animal based enzymes ). However, a lot of brands now use bacterial culture as opposed to Rennet such as Agropur




No comments:

Post a Comment