3 cups cooked chicken cut in cubes
1 cup onion chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 cup celery,finely chopped
1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
1 cup peas
1 1/2 cups evaporated low fat or whole milk (skim, low fat or whole)
1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tbs of coarse dijon mustard
salt and pepper, to taste
1 large sheet or 2 smaller sheets of puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in onions, garlic, celery and carrots, and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring continuously, for one minute until flour turns light brown.
- Stir in chicken stock followed by milk. Bring just to a simmer, than decrease the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the chicken meat, peas, the dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour filling into a 9 or 10-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Take puff pastry dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it is large enough to cover the top of the pie plate. Cover filling with pie, pressing it down around the edges of the pie plate and cutting 4-5 slits in the top to allow steam to escape
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until filling is bubbly and the pie crust is golden.
If you like everything spicy like I do , add some chopped jalapenos for a nice kick !