The herb that is used profusely in Mauritius is Thyme . Very fragrant, Thyme is used in many dishes and is once again from the french influence (Thyme is a component of the herbes de provence and bouquet garni in french cuisine). Thyme is sometimes even used in making curries in Mauritius and adds a delightful twist to many other dishes !
- 500 grm macaroni
- 400 grm of ground beef
-2 tomatoes crushed
-3 cloves of garlic
-1 onion chopped
-1 cup of breadcrumbs
-2 cups of grated cheddar cheese (or more according to taste)
-1-2 green chillies
-2-3 tbs oil
-Salt and Pepper
- Boil macaroni as per instruction on the box and set aside
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add chopped onions and garlic
- Fry until light brown
- Add meat , salt and pepper
- Fry until meat turns golden brown and there is no more water
- Now add the crushed tomatoes and green chillies
- Allow to cook on low heat until you see the oil around the side of the pan
- Time to add the thyme !
- Now you may add your macaroni and mix well
- Add the grated cheese and breadcrumbs and mix properly
- Serve hot with a tomato salsa or hot sauce
- You may add more cheese on top and put under the broiler until bubbly ! The more cheese the better is the rule here !